I really will read anything if the book is engaging enough, but my two favorite genres are YA and romance, followed closely by thrillers/mysteries. Here are some of the best adult romance novels out there.
1. Jewels of the Sun by Nora Roberts- (contemporary romance with a touch of fantasy) This is the first book in the Gallaghers of Ardmore Trilogy. It was the first real romance I ever read, and I fell in love with it. I’ve read the whole trilogy at least fifteen times, and I still love it.
2. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin- Okay, I know this is cliché, but I love it. It is my favorite book by Jane Austin.
3. Ravished by Amanda Quick- (Historical romance with a mystery element) I love Amanda Quick’s books. They are so much more then the average historical romance. I’ve never been disappointed by one of her books. I recommend them all.
4. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger- This isn’t your typical romance. In fact, I think it’s shelved in the literary section in the books store. But it is a romance at heart; a beautiful touching one. I highly recommend it.
5. Born in Fire by Nora Roberts- (contemporary romance) Another by Ms. Roberts that I loved. Again, the whole trilogy (the Born In trilogy) is good, although the last book (Born in Shame) is my least favorite.
6. The Wedding Dress by Kimberly Cates- (Contemporary romance) I loved this book! It is super unique, and the characters are fleshed out beautifully. I’ve re-read it several times.
7. The Heir by Johanna Lindsey- (Historical romance) This is probably my favorite historical romance written by a contemporary author. I think it was the first historical romance I read, and I loved it. Definitely add it to you collection.
8. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë- One of my absolute favorite novels of all time. I’ve read this one over in over. In fact, I had to replace my original copy last year.
9. The India Fan by Victoria Holt- (historical romance) I love Victoria Holt’s books. I know they’re older, and don’t have any love scenes in them, but I actually like that. I feel like a lot of modern romances have too many love scenes, and many of them are too graphic. I’ve actually skipped loved scenes in books before because I felt like they weren’t relevant to the plot. Ms. Holt books are excellent, mesmerizing books, epically if you like the whole gothic romance thing, which I do!
!0. The Duke and I by Julia Quinn- (Historical romance) This was the first book by Julia Quinn that I read, and I loved it. She’s got such a funny engaging voice. I highly recommend her books.